Internet Options at the Summit Towers -- as of May 14, 2014The
Summit Towers Association does not provide, or take responsibility for,
any of these services. The Association is not party
to provisioning of internet for any resident. Each resident
must contact one of our internet providers themselves to set up, or
deal with problems with, internet in their units.
If you have service from OpticalTel, and want wireless internet in your unit (WiFi), you will need a ROUTER. After
OpticalTel has finished wiring your unit with fiber you will no longer
use the cable modem, but you will still need a router if you want
WiFi.. If you already have a router, you can use that one after you
unit is rewired. To see more about chosing and installing a
router see the following YouTube videos: How to chose a wireless routerr?, How to Set Up a Wireless Router . You will also want to set a password on your router.
Please see the Telecom article in the March/April 2014 Observer
For Your Unit: The information included (price, speed and features) is approximate and may be adjusted by the vendors at anytime.
Join the Telecom
Committee (contact the office) to help in our review of future options
for the Summit.. Articles about this issue appear in most of our
recent Observer Newsletters. Renters: Please coordinate any choices for your units with your unit's owner.
- OpticalTel (through TV coax cables) -- 855.303.4237 -- download speeds of over 6 Mbps, ~$26/month, month-to-month contract
- AT&T (DSL & Uverse through phone lines) -- 888-321-2375 -- download speeds of 0.6 to 1.5 Mbps, ~$15-30/month
depending on what other services you have with AT&T, requires
Free hotspots outside your unit: The
Summit hotspots are a
relatively new offering being offered on an experimental basis for
occasional use of residents. OpticalTel provides
their connections for free to our community. (Thank you.) The local modem and
router equipment are being maintained by
volunteer owners, not the Association. No resident should contact OpticalTel about problems with these locations.
Other close hotspots
- Near Cafe -- Summit Pool" (~6mbps) no password (OpticalTel)
- South tower women's card room -- "Summit South Lounge" (~6mbps) password 9549549549 (OpticalTel)
- South tower women's card room -- "South Lounge" (~1.5mpbs) password 9549549549 (AT&T DSL)
- North tower women's card room -- "Summit Towers North Lounge:" (~6mbps) password 9549549549 (OpticalTel)
Library, M-F 10-6 except holidays, internet (and computers) two
minute walk south of the Summit, see library staff for
information,. Network is typically runs at 10Mbps. The library also provides computers for those with
Broward Library cards.
- Hollywood WiFi -- weak signal from Broadwalk, no password required